Saturday, January 16, 2010
Bullock's contribution went to Doctors Without Borders' emergency operations in Port-Au-Prince, where three of the organization's existing facilities were damaged by the magnitude 7.0 quake.
"I wanted to ensure that my donation would be used immediately to meet the needs of the Haitian people affected by this catastrophic event," said Bullock in a statement.
Madonna's gift was to Partners In Health, a longtime medical provider in Haiti.
"I urge all of my friends and fans around the world to join me collectively to match my contribution or give in any way you can," she said. "We must act now."
Earlier Friday, Not On Our Watch, an advocacy and grantmaking group founded by George Clooney, Brad Pitt and others, donated $1 million to Partners in Health.
The International Red Cross estimates 45,000 to 50,000 people were killed in the earthquake, which devastated the Caribbean nation on Tuesday.
Friday, January 15, 2010
Boston Globe: The benevolent Gisele Bundchen yesterday wrote a $1.5 million check to the Red Cross to aid the relief effort in Haiti, according to a source close to the supermodel. We’re told Tom Brady’s wife was prompted to pitch in after seeing the devastation done by this week’s earthquake. Bundchen is one of several celebs who’ve been stirred to action by the catastrophic images broadcast on TV. The leggy supermodel, who’s traveled all over the world, can certainly afford such largesse considering she earned a reported $35 million last year.
Thursday, January 14, 2010
I love Lauren! Sexy, talented and she shows a great sense of humor with this viral video. Don't tell anyone, but I dated Hildy a couple of times. She is even HOTTER in person! And let me tell you, I have never been kissed by a woman, the way Hildy kissed me. She is hands down the best kisser on the planet!
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
E!: Dexter knows how to dispatch the bad guys. Let's hope he has the same success with this.
Michael C. Hall has announced he's been diagnosed with a nonlethal form of cancer and is already on the mend.
The 38-year-old Dexter star said he's suffering from Hodgkin's lymphoma, but that the disease was caught at an early stage in a "treatable and curable condition." He's currently receiving treatment at an unidentified Los Angeles-area facility, Hall said, and the cancer is reportedly in complete remission.
And he's definitely not letting it get in the way of a good time.
Hall is expected to join his actress wife, Jennifer Carpenter, at this Sunday's Golden Globe Awards, where he's nominated for Best Actor for his titular role in Showtime's serial killer hit, as well as the Jan. 23 Screen Actors Guild Awards.
The fifth season of Dexter is set to premiere in September.
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Classy and funny. I love Conan and will follow him wherever he goes.
People of Earth:
In the last few days, I’ve been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I’ve been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I’ve been absurdly lucky. That said, I’ve been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.
Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.
But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.
Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.
So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.
There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.
Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it’s always been that way.
Monday, January 11, 2010
No, really. It's official now and everything.
Simon just told reporters at the TV Critics Assocation winter press tour:
"There's been a lot of speculation [about my future], partly because we didn't have an agreement. We reached an agreement formally about about half past 11 this morning. Where we have come to is that The X Factor will launch in America in 2011, with me judging the show and executive producing the show, and because of that, this will be my last season on American Idol this year."