Saturday, July 07, 2007
Avril fights back.
Avril Lavigne isn't going to take a bashing sitting down. She has responded to claims that she ripped off "Girlfriend" from the Rubinoos on her website. I like Avril. Good for her.... I'm also scared of her. I'm pretty sure she could thrash me....
dear media, friends, and fans,
You may have heard some news that two guys who wrote for some band from the 1970s I have never in my life heard of called the "Rubinoos" are trying to sue me. They have a song called "I Want To Be Your Boyfriend" that has no musical similarities to the song "Girlfriend" that Luke Gottwald and I wrote together. They claim that a small part of the lyrics are the same and are saying that I took these from them. I had never heard this song in my life and their claim is based on 5 words! All songs share similar lyrics and emotions. As humans we speak one language.
Off the top of my head, two other songs that I can immediately think of with this type of lyric are "Hey, hey, you, you get off of my cloud" by the Rolling Stones and "Hey little girl I want to be your boyfriend" by the Ramones. Simply put, I have been falsely accused of ripping their song off. Luke and I have done nothing wrong and there is no merit to their claim.
And slap in the face #2
I was going to be the bigger person and not reply when I read Chantal Kreviazuk's article in Performing Songwriter magazine. Now that all the media have caught on to her little interview, I need to speak. Chantal's comments are damaging to my reputation and a clear defamation of my character and I am considering taking legal action. Chantal has accused me of taking a song idea from her because I happen to have a song on my new record with the same title.
For the record, I wrote a song with Evan Taubenfeld which coincidentally has the same title as a song Chantal had sent me a few years ago. Our songs have no similarities and opposite meanings, i.e. different lyrics, different melody, different genres. In Chantal's own words "the only similarity is in the title." I originally wrote this with Evan for his record and I ended up with it. Funny enough when I decided to put "Contagious" on my album we had to change the words from "she" to "he" in order for it to work on my record. There are hundreds of songs out there with the title "Contagious," 75+ on iTunes alone.
Chantal has also made false accusations about my writing skills. I am so over this topic. This letter is not about this. I am not going to sit here and defend my writing skills. I don't have to prove anything to anyone. I know who I am and what I have done and accomplished and no one can take that away from me.
My decision to discontinue working with Chantal after co-writing together on my second record was simply based on the fact that we had no hits together. That is why her name is not on this record, despite her numerous attempts to be included, which were always denied. From my perspective this is a clear case of bitterness. Chantal is upset that she didn't get to be a part of my record. She did email me after the article came out apologizing and I forgive her but I have to put the truth out there so my fans are not confused by these false accusations.
Let it be crystal clear that I have not ripped anyone off or done anything wrong. I have never had to deal with anything publicly like this and surely never wanted to. I do not deserve this negative press and attention. I take pride in the songs that I write and appreciate the opportunities to work with some great writers and musicians.
My fans have been so dedicated to my music and it is because of them that I have this amazing career. Thank you again to my fans for continuing to be so supportive. This is a very positive time for me in my life. I have a very successful career and I feel very lucky to have accomplished all that I have. I am so thankful every day.
I would like to say more but my lawyers have advised me not to. Why is it when you get to a certain level people want to attack you?.... and now I have said my piece.
Posted by Geno at 1:37 PM
Josh Charles performs Geno's World's theme song!
Support Geno's World's Favorite Charities
- 9th Ward Field of Dreams
- ALS Association - NY
- AMREF - Mena Suvari
- Apuur.org - Mircea Monroe
- Artists For Peace And Justice - Olivia Wilde
- Best Friends
- Boys & Girls Club of America - Ron Howard
- Cancer Schmancer
- Carroll Center For The Blind
- Catskill Citizens for Safe Energy
- Catskill Mountainkeeper
- Challenged Athletes Foundation
- Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation -Stephen Collins
- Frack Action - Mark Ruffalo
- Generation Rescue - Jenny McCarthy
- Global Network
- Got Your Back Network - Dr. Andy Baldwin
- Green Is Sexy
- Grobanites For Charity - Josh Groban
- GROOBS shoes - Charisma Carpenter
- Gulf Coast Fund
- Hillsides - Dr. Drew Pinsky
- HollyRod Foundation
- HorseNet Horse Rescue
- IS Foundation - Ian Somerhalder
- Joyful Heart Foundation - Mariska Hargitay
- Keith Powell - Alyssa Milano Challenge - National Wildlife Federation
- Lili Claire Foundation - Sara Rue
- Loma Linda U Children's Hospital Foundation - Craig Bierko
- Make A Wish Foundation
- Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
- Meet Me Halfway - Jimmy Wayne
- Men Stopping Violence
- Moyer Foundation - Sara Rue
- National Adoption Day - Nia Vardalos
- Rally For Kids With Cancer - Julie Benz
- Right Action For Women - Christina Applegate Foundation
- Rockstar Ronan - Charisma Carpenter
- Ronald McDonald House
- Save Our Gulf
- Sheldrick Wildlife - Kristin Davis
- St. Baldrick's Foundation - Sarah Brown
- St. Bernard Project
- Starlight Children's Foundation - Kay Panabaker
- Take Action Hollywood - Maria Menounos
- THARCE-Gulu - Eliza Dushku
- The Thirst Project - Charisma Carpenter
- The Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance - Patricia Heaton
- Think Again
- TwitChange - Eva Longoria
- Waterkeeper - Edward James Olmos
- ► 2014 (713)
- ► 2013 (3155)
- ► 2012 (4239)
- ► 2011 (6133)
- ► 2010 (6903)
- ► 2009 (5100)
- ► 2008 (3024)
07/01 - 07/08
- Avril fights back.
- Ron Wood borrowed 250,000 pounds from Mick & Keith...
- Fergie to sing about Candie's clothing?
- Jessica Alba is a bit attractive.
- Bass God John Wetton to be DJ for a day on Sirius....
- Hayden loves Journey and bikinis.
- Will Leo play Hef?
- ER doc Goran Visnijic is faced with a paternity su...
- Nathan Fillion talks about Drive, Firefly, Waitres...
- Baby Spice is frugal and discreet.
- James Hetfield questioned at airport.
- Links who still don't know what Sussudio means.
- Gonorrhea and Daddy issues invade Big Brother hous...
- J-lo not allowed to tour alone.
- The Clintons meet the Romneys. Sounds like a sitco...
- More Nick & Vanessa pictures surface.
- Sister Christian found Mister Right.
- Scary Spice is a sex maniac.
- Kelly Clarkson thanks her fans.
- Prison Break star insists he likes the ladies.
- Links raking in the dough for a movie reunion.
- Michael Jai White joins Dark Knight cast.
- Miley Cyrus is #1. Kelly Clarkson is #2.
- Katharine McPhee takes some clothes off to sell CD...
- Win big on the 4th!
- Matchbox 20 hits studio. Studio doesn't hit back.
- Brad Pitt is the new "Bullitt"
- Christina Aguilera pregnancy confirmed. The baby's...
- Gay Doctor Who star John Barrowman may have sex wi...
- Topanga loses 25 pounds and goes bikini shopping.
- Hey Paula! Nobody is watching.
- Mischa Barton is looking for a mature Mr. Right.
- Is Sienna Miller "Making The Band" with P Diddy?
- Will Jack Bauer be taking orders from a female Pre...
- Links that form a long lasting power trio.
- Nicolas Cage & son create "Voodoo Child"
- Kelly Clarkson hires new management. Rolling Stone...
- J-lo doesn't want to be called J-lo
- Van Halen tour to kick off in September. Maybe.
- Nick & Vanessa's lawyer is no fun.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt will buy your soul.
- Links waiting for Deadwood to return.
- Dinner is on Obama.
- 100% Poker Welcome Bonus.
- Plenty of fireworks for Britney and her Mom on the...
- Spice Girls fued? Already?
- Veronica Mars season 4 to be in comic book form?
- Elizabeth Hurley turns 5 year old son into crossdr...
- Britney Spears producer may be delusional.
- ▼ 07/01 - 07/08 (51)
- ► 2006 (585)