Saturday, August 06, 2011
Posted by Geno at 7:29 PM
Friday, August 05, 2011
Posted by Geno at 7:21 PM
Posted by Geno at 12:01 PM
Posted by Geno at 9:05 AM
Posted by Geno at 6:53 AM
Thursday, August 04, 2011
Posted by Geno at 7:44 PM
Posted by Geno at 9:04 AM
Posted by Geno at 7:15 AM
Posted by Geno at 7:08 AM
Wednesday, August 03, 2011
Posted by Geno at 7:55 PM
Posted by Geno at 7:40 PM
Posted by Geno at 4:24 PM
Posted by Geno at 11:46 AM
Posted by Geno at 8:44 AM
Posted by Geno at 7:01 AM
Tuesday, August 02, 2011
Posted by Geno at 7:54 PM
Posted by Geno at 6:51 PM
Posted by Geno at 2:04 PM
Posted by Geno at 1:12 PM
Posted by Geno at 11:23 AM
Posted by Geno at 10:03 AM
Posted by Geno at 9:52 AM
Posted by Geno at 7:03 AM
Monday, August 01, 2011
Posted by Geno at 8:44 PM
Posted by Geno at 6:19 PM
Posted by Geno at 3:49 PM
Posted by Geno at 11:41 AM
Sunday, July 31, 2011
Not a fan of recreating the wheel , I rarely have the patience to start a review with a thorough (but spoiler-less) outline of the plot (that’s what rotten tomatoes is for). I just want to get to the good stuff in other words getting to what I think about it! But as I’m a consummate professional (in my mind anyway), here’s my attempt at a summary: our hero is a weak and wimpy young man with a heart of gold and a courageous inherent nature at the dawn of America entering WWII. He gets chosen for genetic enhancements which would make him the prototype for a new kind of soldier – one that’s stronger, quicker and faster-healing than the normal soldier.
The 3rd Reich wasn’t going to let the super-duper army be built so easily so due to their intervention, he ends up being the only one. With no field experience he gets relegated to the role of marketing mascot for young men to join the army (before they started using conscription). The marketing tool (him) was thus named Captain America. But eventually he gets into the action fighting the big bad Hydra, an extremist wing of the Nazi party (which sounds weird, as if the Nazis weren’t extreme enough) but Hydra has some of their own supernatural tendencies. Ok, that was exhausting to write, hope you’re all still with me. If so, here are 5 observations I made watching Captain America: The First Avenger.
1. Not too rah rah America
In many ways it was a big, Hollywood film with the booming soundtrack and dramatic pauses and close-ups. But I was glad to see that it wasn’t over the top patriotism. Raised in America, I’m ingrained with a respect for the flag and appreciation for our liberties, but it’s refreshing (especially living in the UK now) watching an American film where that is rather subtle and not forcefully fed it down our throats. Unlike Independence Day (which I LOVE), there isn’t a “America’s here to save the day” message. Of course we always do, everyone knows that, but no one likes to have the knowledge it forced on them (I kid, I kid…kinda).
2. Let’s hear it for Hugo
I love this guy. Hugo Weaving stars in two of my favorite films, The Matrix & Lord of the Rings. Playing Schmidt, the villain in Captain America (and a nasty Nazi and perhaps something else…but no spoilers here), he oozes danger the way Agent Smith in The Matrix does. Despite a few moments of faltering in his German accent, I bought him in the role and enjoyed him immensely. Later he emerges as Red Skull who appears to be the sunburned lovechild of Darth Vader and The Mask. Not a good look but yet a GREAT look for this big, bad villain that Captain America must defeat.
3. Montage Silliness
When it comes to montages, this film is right up there with the best of them. Captain America (pre-change) at army camp, Captain America doing the war-bond rallies, Captain America and his team getting their weapons ready, Captain America going poop (okay that last one I made up). Perhaps this isn’t a fault of this film, perhaps this is really the fault of Team America: World Police. I mean, how can anyone take a montage seriously after watching this?
4. Battle Weary
By the time the big, climactic battle took place I was, for lack of a better word, kinda over it. Several epic battles had already taken place showing off the weaponry, lots of stuff blowing up, bad guys being really bad, Captain America’s awesomeness as well as all the special effects. And in what should’ve been the biggest, baddest, best battle in the whole film, I felt I’d already seen it and was a bit fatigued by it (the thought, “again?” entered my mind).
5. Band of Brothers
When Captain America recruits his own band of brothers to help with his next mission, he chooses from a rough and tumble, odd mix of POWs he had previously rescued. Okay, I can go with that. But cue the stereotypes, the French man with a thin mustache and beret, the Italian with a cap, the red-headed Irish-American with giant sideburns and a bowler hat. And what’s worse, they wear these same stupid “outfits” in battle. Captain America’s team doesn’t need uniforms or special clothing apparently! At one point they’re high in the alps about to attack a bad-guy train and they’re flouncing around on the cliff edges in their Disneyworld “It’s a Small World” outfits. My sister tells me this is the film staying true to its comic-book roots, so I guess in that case I can forgive it. But for moviegoers who aren’t familiar with the comic book series, they may, like me, find it a tad ridiculous. Speaking of silly outfits, I think in the future any time a well muscled man wears a t-shirt WAY too small for him, he shall forthwith be branded as Captain America, it’s a moniker I believe could really stick.
I really enjoyed the film, I liked the atmosphere it created plus I’m always a fan of fighting the Nazis (Indian Jones-esque) . Plus with the added strength of a cast including Stanley Tucci and Tommy Lee Jones, any small qualms are easily set aside and I let the entire experience just flow. I was told to stay until the end of the credits to see a preview for The Avengers and can I just say to you reading this, don’t bother unless you are a huge fan. The credits go on for days and the preview is hardly a preview. Still, Captain America is a fun ride, I enjoyed it and hope you do too!
Posted by Geno at 3:38 PM
Posted by Geno at 10:58 AM
Support Geno's World's Favorite Charities
- 9th Ward Field of Dreams
- ALS Association - NY
- AMREF - Mena Suvari
- Apuur.org - Mircea Monroe
- Artists For Peace And Justice - Olivia Wilde
- Best Friends
- Boys & Girls Club of America - Ron Howard
- Cancer Schmancer
- Carroll Center For The Blind
- Catskill Citizens for Safe Energy
- Catskill Mountainkeeper
- Challenged Athletes Foundation
- Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation
- Frack Action - Mark Ruffalo
- GROOBS shoes - Charisma Carpenter
- Generation Rescue - Jenny McCarthy
- Global Network
- Green Is Sexy
- Grobanites For Charity - Josh Groban
- Gulf Coast Fund
- HollyRod Foundation
- HorseNet Horse Rescue
- IS Foundation - Ian Somerhalder
- Joyful Heart Foundation - Mariska Hargitay
- Keith Powell - Alyssa Milano Challenge - National Wildlife Federation
- Lili Claire Foundation - Sara Rue
- Loma Linda U Children's Hospital Foundation - Craig Bierko
- Make A Wish Foundation
- Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation
- Meet Me Halfway - Jimmy Wayne
- Men Stopping Violence
- Moyer Foundation - Sara Rue
- National Adoption Day - Nia Vardalos
- Rally For Kids With Cancer - Julie Benz
- Right Action For Women - Christina Applegate Foundation
- Rockstar Ronan - Charisma Carpenter
- Ronald McDonald House
- Save Our Gulf
- Sheldrick Wildlife - Kristin Davis
- St. Baldrick's Foundation - Sarah Brown
- St. Bernard Project
- Starlight Children's Foundation - Kay Panabaker
- THARCE-Gulu - Eliza Dushku
- Take Action Hollywood - Maria Menounos
- The Thirst Project - Charisma Carpenter
- The Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance - Patricia Heaton
- Think Again
- TwitChange - Eva Longoria
- Waterkeeper - Edward James Olmos
- ► 2015 (499)
- ► 2014 (2531)
- ► 2013 (3155)
- ► 2012 (4239)
07/31 - 08/07
- Rhythmic Roze Interviews Rose McGowan About Conan ...
- Victoria's Secret models unveil new bra
- Restaurant replaces menus with iPads
- ET's Last 'All My Children' Set Visit
- John Legend talks education
- Avoiding a social media overload
- Squirrels lounge in office windowsill
- "Entourage" stars reveal their favorite episodes
- President Obama's awkward silence
- Did Brad Pitt Have Anything To Do With Jonah Hill’...
- Rifle parts found in airport restroom
- Virgin Mary spotted on a dried mango
- Kathy Griffin unleashed!!
- Mark Wahlberg Puts Taylor Lautner on a Pedestal
- Christina Applegate talks to E! about "Up All Nigh...
- We still love Lucy! Tomorrow would have been Lucil...
- Get your dog to behave like a star
- Marvel comics introduces a new mixed race characte...
- John Oliver loves 'Benjamins'
- Students get the 'scoop' at Ice Cream University
- Anna Paquin Talks About Her Sexy 'True Blood' Co-S...
- Girl rescues woodpecker, mother fined $535
- Kathy Griffin on the economy
- David Letterman's "Top Ten Ways Barack Obama Celeb...
- Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Wahlberg, Lea Michelle & T...
- Chris Colfer Addresses ‘Glee’ Departure ‘Misunders...
- Eva Longoria talks to EXTRA about her new document...
- Emma Stone dances for her adoring fans
- Dolly Parton On Her 1978 Playboy Cover & Her Motiv...
- Neighbors protest 'glad you have cancer' sign
- Greyson Chance performs on EXTRA
- Bruce Lee items to sell at Hong Kong auction.
- Wayward deer takes a dip in seals' tank
- Tony Bennett On The Death Of Amy Winehouse: ‘I Was...
- Sean Kingston talks to TODAY about his near death ...
- J.J. Abrams: 'Ghost Protocol' Will be Biggest 'Mis...
- Emma Stone talks to David Letterman about visiting...
- Olivia Wilde talks to Conan O'Brien about vagina t...
- Dana Delany Dishes On Working With 50 Cent On ‘Fre...
- Patti Stanger Talks Tori Spelling & Jenny McCarthy...
- Behind the special effects of "Rise of the Planet ...
- Kris Jenner & Bruce Jenner tell CNN that their sex...
- Alison Sweeney - ‘Days Of Our Lives’ Is ‘Going Str...
- Goats race for a good cause
- ‘Modern Family’ Dilemma - Who Will Sarah Hyland Ro...
- Widower struggles with six disabled kids
- James Roday & Dule Hill Get ‘Psych’-ed For William...
- Josh Duhamel's Dramatic Return to 'All My Children...
- People strip naked on Wall Street
- Julie Chen's "Big Brother" Top Ten List On David L...
- Demi Moore Enjoys Some Animal Friendly Faux Fur
- Matt Damon defends teachers against a [expletive] ...
- Will Arnett talks to Access Hollywood about "Up Al...
- Christina Applegate talks to Access Hollywood abou...
- Google Plus Vs. Facebook: There can be only one
- Funny severed head gag....No really!
- Rashida Jones & Nick Offerman On Patricia Clarkson...
- Gabrielle Giffords' intern 'excited' she's back
- 'The Office’ Cast On James Spader As The New Boss:...
- 'Holy #*$%!' witness says of lightning strike
- Mircea Monroe is jaw-dropping sexy at "The Change-...
- Sandra Bullock Makes Rare Appearance to Pal Ryan R...
- Freida Pinto talks to TODAY about "Rise of the Pla...
- Sacks West with Don Cheadle, Ray Romano, George Lo...
- Dr. Drew talks to Stacy Kaiser about Casey Anthony...
- Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie Dazzle At Sarajevo Film...
- Marisa Miller gives Conan O'Brien paddleboard less...
- Harrison Ford destroys a Smurf on Conan O'Brien
- James Franco talks to David Letterman about "Rise ...
- "Top Ten Rejected Josh Groban Songs" on David Lett...
- Josh Groban sings about Kim Kardashian X-Raying he...
- Video: Gabrielle Giffords casts first vote since s...
- Lady Gaga Defends Amy Winehouse & Opens Up On Her ...
- Dog Jump Fail
- Josh Groban sings to the "Regis & Kelly" audience ...
- Video: Josh Groban co-hosts "Regis & Kelly" with K...
- Joss Stone talks new CD and murder plot with CNN
- James Franco talks to Access Hollywood about "Rise...
- Man uses abs to pull car in China
- Adam Scott Helps Kick Off the 2011 Primetime Emmys...
- David Beckham answers iReporter questions about wi...
- Bianca Kajlich On Landon Donovan - ‘We Enjoy Being...
- James Franco is interviewed about "Rise of the Pla...
- MTV turns 30
- Snake takes a ride on a car
- Walls of home ooze honey
- Craig Ferguson & Kristin Bell in Paris!!
- Hollywood Takes a Stand Against Planking
- Jessica Alba’s ‘Spy Kids 4D’ Premiere
- Rosie O'Donnell Dishes on Sealing Her TV Deal with...
- Mario Lopez interviews Kathy Griffin
- CBS This Morning profiles Jason Bateman
- What does Val think of Captain America?
- Patrick Stewart explains why animation is the most...
- Rosie O'Donnell talks about her working relationsh...
- Chimpanzee bottle feeds tiger cubs
- Scientists create glow-in-the-dark puppy
- ▼ 07/31 - 08/07 (97)
- ► 2010 (6903)
- ► 2009 (5100)
- ► 2008 (3024)
- ► 2007 (1899)
- ► 2006 (585)